Opportunities: Create Opportunity Part I: Basic Info
This tutorial will cover how to create Advanced opportunities within our volunteer management database.
- To create a new opportunity click on the Main Menu (3 bars) in the upper left and click on Opportunities then Our Opportunities.
- In the resulting screen, click Add Opportunity in the lower right corner, then select Advanced Opportunity.
- At the top of the screen, keep the slider set to Active.
- If you are a Volunteer Action Center (VAC) or a university, you can also indicate that you are creating this opportunity for a partner organization by clicking the “On behalf of” dropdown menu then selecting the partner organization for which you are creating this opportunity. If you are creating this opportunity for your own organization, leave this field blank.
- Enter the opportunity Name.
- Select the Contact Person.
- If you are creating this opportunity on behalf of your own organization, select the user who will be managing this opportunity from the “Opportunity Owner” dropdown menu. If the user who is currently logged in will be managing the opportunity, select Me.
- If you are creating this opportunity on behalf of a partner organization and wish to choose a different user, click Change under “Contact Person”. Then, click Our Staff Users to select a user from your own organization, or Partner Organization Staff Users to select a user from the partner organization. When done, click Save.
- If this opportunity will not take place at a physical location, set the Virtual Opportunity slider to “Yes.”
- If this opportunity will not take place at the default address listed under “Address,” click the Edit then enter the new address, then click Save.
- If this opportunity will take place at multiple locations, click Add Location under “Address.” Enter a unique title and address for the location, then click Save.
- To delete a location, click Delete in the dropdown menu.
- Under “Position(s),” the opportunity will default to a single position called “Volunteer.” To add more positions, click Add Position. Enter the new position name (e.g., cashier) and an estimated hourly value (e.g., $10), if desired. Click Save.
- Positions represent the different jobs a volunteer might perform within an opportunity. Use them to help you coordinate volunteers by designating different tasks to different positions in the same opportunity.
- Under “Opportunity Logo”, upload a logo or icon for the opportunity. Click on Click here or drop a file. This logo will appear on the public site.
- Under “Program(s)", select the program(s) with which this opportunity is associated.
Note: If you are creating this opportunity in association with a VAC/university, you will have the option to select programs associated with the VAC in the Publish section.
- Under “Describe more about the Opportunity,” enter a description of your opportunity. This description will appear on the public site, exactly as entered.
- This description should be professional in nature, so be sure to use complete sentences and proper grammar. Try to mirror a job description on a job-posting site by including details about the activities in which volunteers will be involved.
- Click Save & Next.