FAQ: Add Anchors to Template
- In this tutorial you will learn how to add an Anchor into a communications template. An anchor link is a hyperlink that, when clicked, takes the user to another part of the same page instead of redirecting to another page. Anchor links are most helpful for long messages, which is why they're generally used in email newsletters.
- To add an anchor in any NPE e-mail communications template (e-appeal, e-blast), start by opening/editing the template/communication content. Edit any text widget (see our tutorial on working with templates) and place the curser where you want to add the anchor in the template (the place the user will be JUMPED to when they click the link you will add later). On the tool bar in the widget editing pane, click on the hyperlink icon.
- This will open the hyperlink pop up box. On the Link Info tab, click the drop down menu in the Link Type field and select Link to anchor in the text.
- Next, click on the Advanced tab. In the Name field, provide a SHORT internal reference/name for this anchor. This will be something like "Anchor #1" or "About Us". It's a way for you to distinguish your various anchor locations from each other. Finally, click the green OK button to save changes/create the anchor.
- Once you click OK, you will see in your template (in the left hand panel) the anchor name highlighted in blue with the hashtag/pound symbol and in the editing pane with a red flag in front of it ( the anchor name will only be visible in edit mode and will not be in the actual template/will not be visible to the recipient).
- Once the Anchor is set, enter the text in the template that the user will click to jump to the anchor location - usually this linked text is at the top of the page (generally, all of the links to click are together, at the top, like an index, and each link will jump the user down to somewhere different lower on the page). After entering the text, highlight it, and click the Hyperlink symbol/option on the tool bar. Select the link type as "Link to an anchor in the text" , select the Anchor name that you created in the previous step from the drop down menu.
- Click on the green OK button to save your changes.
- User can set up as many Anchors they want in a template. One Anchor can be linked to multiple texts/words in a template. The Anchor can only be used in that particular widget in the template and can not be used in another widget of the same template. When you copy a template (which contains anchors) it will copy the anchors presents in the template as well.