Cancelling a Membership
- When a member wishes to cancel a membership, you can either 1) formally cancel it in your system or 2) simply let it expire at the end of the membership period. There is no refund option for memberships, so formally cancelling the membership prior to the expiration of the current period is simply a formality and/or a way to indicate that someone is now an ex-member.
- Do NOT use the Void function to cancel a membership; voiding is used to indicate a transaction that has been voided/cancelled out - that is, a transaction that was entered erroneously and then refunded (voiding is a way of cancelling an erroneous transaction while preserving the paper trail, versus simply deleting the erroneous entry).
- To cancel a membership, from either the Manage Membership screen or View Contact: Memberships select Edit from the drop down to the right of the membership.
- On the Add/Edit Membership screen, click the Override box next to the End Date field. This will open up the End Date field for editing; change the End Date to the member's cancellation date/last date of their membership.
- The contact will be changed to Ex-Member.
- There is nothing on the screen that will indicate that this membership was cancelled versus simply expiring, so you may want to add a field to the Membership Additional Information custom data set that will allow you to indicate a membership was cancelled (for example, you could add a check box for "Cancelled?" and/or a text field for "Cancellation Reason." This will allow you to exclude from reports/searches those who have cancelled versus those who have lapsed/expired and need to be reminded to renew). See the tutorial on Adding a New Membership for details on configuring the Membership Additional Information Custom Data set