Events: Create Event Part I: Event Details
- This tutorial will cover the first step in creating an event.
- To create a new event within the system, click on Events on the Main Menu to open the Events sub-menu and then click Create Event (to create an event from scratch) OR from the Events sub-menu select Events to be taken to the Events Index Page and then on the Events Index page click Add Event (to create an event from scratch) OR from the Events Index Screen copy an existing event by selecting Copy from the drop down to the right (to create a new event with the same settings as a previous event; you will then be able to edit all of the settings in the copy to customize it for your new/upcoming event).
- NOTE: Fundly charges $1 for every transaction paid via credit card and this charge is not refunded when the registration is canceled, refunded, or credited. This charge is applied monthly. Refer to this FAQ.
- This will bring up the Event creation screen, open to the Event Details (first) tab. Creating events is a four step process.
- When creating or editing an event, make sure the Active/Inactive slider is set to Active.
- Start by giving a Title to your event, in the Title field that clearly describes the event for both staff and potential users on your public site.
- If you wish to specify the location where the event will occur, use the Venue field (this field is optional). Select from the drop down list of Default Venues or click the + button to the right of the drop down to add a new Venue (see our tutorial on configuring default venues for more information on adding venues).
- If your event will be hosted by another organization, you can select that Host from the drop down list of Default Hosts or click the + button to the right of the drop down to add a new host (see our tutorial on configuring default hosts for more information on adding hosts). By default, your organization is assumed to be the host; therefore the field should be left blank unless some other organization is the host.
- If you do not want to sell tickets to the event online (only want to display the event name, location, date, and description), click the "Check if Event Ticketing/Registration will be done at Host's website box.
- Checking this box will remove the Registration Type tab as well as remove all registration related tabs when viewing/managing the event (waitlist, event registration confirmation, event notifications, event invites, manage attendees, track expenses, and the dashboard; the only items that will be left is Image Gallery, Sponsors, and Event Documents).
- If you change your mind later and decide you want to sell tickets to the event, you will need to uncheck the hosted event checkbox AND THEN REMEMBER TO COMPLETE TAB #3 REGISTRATION TYPES.
- In the Description section, use the provided editor to create the content of the event page which users will see when they look at the event online. You can include event details, images, video, hyperlinks, and instructions to potential attendees in this field. TIP: if you want to left or right align an image and have text next to it, the text will butt up against the image with no spacing. If you want to add spacing, click on the Source button to enter the HTML editor screen and add the following html code for margins/padding inside the image tags: style="margin:10px 10px 10px 10px" [this is padding for left, top, right, and bottom - you can adjust the margin sizes by changing the numbers] (if you already have a style tag on the image for alignment and/or size, just add the margin: 10px 10px 10px 10px portion of the attribute.
- To save the event and proceed to the next step, click on Save & Proceed in the lower right. To save the event and then exit (to return later), click Save.
- In the next tutorial (Create Event Part II), we will discuss how to configure an event’s Schedule Settings (date and time of the event).
- If you save and exit, you can return to event set up by going to the Drafts tab of the event index page and selecting Edit from the drop down to the right of the event name.
- You can edit/amend any event's settings at any time (even after publishing the event) regardless of whether they are on the Active, Inactive, or Drafts tab.