e-Store Configurations Part I: Configure Default Sales Tax
- The e-Store function allows you to configure merchandise that you plan to sell to your constituents/to the public. e-Store merchandise sales can be entered directly into the system, can be made online (via Pages or Plug-In), and can be linked to events so that e-Store merchandise can be purchased while purchasing event tickets. Please Note: events also have their own merchandise function ("event other items). For each event, you can configure which event other items (if any) AND which e-Store items will be available to event registrants for purchase. The distinction between e-Store items and Event Other Items is that event other items have no ability to configure and charge sales tax. Event Other Items is generally intended for event "add-ons" such as childcare, meal purchases, raffle tickets, etc.
- The first step in configuring your e-Store merchandise/inventory, is to set the default sales tax rate/percentage that will be charged for items. You can over-ride/customize the sales tax amount per merchandise category when you configure the product categories (Part II tutorial); the default will simply be the amount that is assumed per category by default. The sales tax setting is also where you can activate our integration with TaxJar, third party software for automatically computing, collecting, and reporting Sales Tax. Learn more about TaxJar at their website.
- To configure the default Sales Tax setting, inside your CRM, click on e-Store on the Main Menu and then click Sales Tax under Settings.
- On the Sales Tax Settings page, start by toggling the "I will provide Sales Tax Rates / Use TaxJar for Sales Tax Rates" slider. Set the slider to "I will provide Sales Tax Rates" if you wish to manually set the default Sales Tax Rate here and the sales tax rate per product category. Set the slider to "Use TaxJar for Sales Tax Rates" if you have a TaxJar account and want TaxJar to set the sales tax rates inside your CRM e-Store.
- If you choose to manually set the rates, next type in the default sales tax rate you want to use. You can over-ride this rate per product/merchandise category when you configure each product category.
- If you choose to use TaxJar, enter the API Key of your TaxJar account (you will need to use TaxJar support/help to locate your API key) and then check the "Push Transactions to TaxJar" box so that data on sales tax collected via your CRM e-Store is sent automatically to TaxJar for state sales tax reporting purposes.
- When you have finished setting your default Sales Tax settings, click the blue Save button in the lower right corner of the screen to save your settings.