Import Utility: Importing Donations Part III - Import Details
- Once you have set up your data file, you are ready to import the data (be sure to read our "Import Utility: Importing Donations Part II - Prepare Your Data" tutorial before proceeding with this step).
- To get started, on the Main Menu click Import.
- This will take you to the Import Utility index screen. Here you will see a list of your previously completed, in-progress, and draft imports.
- If you have a draft import already started, you can click the drop down to the right of the import batch and select Edit. Otherwise, click the blue Create Import Batch button in the lower right hand corner.
- The import utility consists of 5 tabs. On Tab #1: Import Details, you will set up the meta information for the batch.
- Start by giving your batch a Batch Title. Best practice is to give the batch a descriptive name that identifies what type of records are in this batch. For example, "Donations From Annual Gala" or "Donations From Old System."
- Next, for the Import Type choose "Donations."
- The Fund, Donation Types, and Gift Source fields in the Assign Default Settings section are OPTIONAL. You can assign every record in the batch the same Fund, Gift Source, and/or Donation Type (cash or in-kind) (you can fill out one field, two fields, all three fields, or no fields in this section). This would be in lieu of assigning each record in the batch a fund, source, or gift type in your data file/spreadsheet. You WOULD want to fill out the fund, source, and/or gift type field here on the Import Details tab if every donation in your batch will have the same value (e.g. if every donation in the batch has the same fund or is of the same type, for example). This will save you from having to put the same thing in your data file/spreadsheet over and over and over. On the other hand, if the contacts in your data file do NOT have the same value for these fields, then you will want to leave this blank and put the values in your spreadsheet instead. In the second screen shot below, we are assigning every record in our batch the source "Mail".
- Additionally, in this section, you have the "Move the donations of this batch to Skipped Acknowledgements" option to tell the system to not queue up any donation acknowledgement letters for the donations in this batch. This is helpful when you are importing old/historical data and don't need to send thank you letters to your donors for these donations. Checking this box will move all the donation acknowledgements to the "skipped" queue in your system.
- The last field in this section, Contact Identification IS required. This tells the system what method you want to use to match donor names to existing contact records in your system. You can use an External Contact ID (a tax ID number or a unique identifier from your old system that you have already added to the CRM in the external ID field), the NonProfitEasy Contact ID, or by duplicate prevention settings specific to this import that you will set on Tab #4.
- Please Note: if you are using the External Contact ID field as your duplicate prevention setting for an individual contact import:
- This setting can only be used to update existing donor records/records that are already in your CRM account. New contact records cannot be created via the import when you use External ID as the duplicate prevention setting; all contacts must already be in the system (including the contact being updated and the soft credit donor)
- The External ID field does NOT show on view/edit contact. The "ID" field on the Personal Info tab of edit contact is NOT the External ID field. The External ID can only be added to contact records via the import utility; there is no way to add it manually to records
- The External ID must already be on the contact records when you import. Any records in your spreadsheet that the system can't find with the External ID in your spreadsheet will cause the batch to fail
- Please Note: if you are using the NonProfitEasy ID field as your duplicate prevention setting for an individual contact import:
- This setting can only be used to update existing records/records that are already in your CRM account. New contact records cannot be created via the import when you use NonProfitEasy ID as the duplicate prevention setting; all contacts must already be in the system (including the contact being updated and the soft credit donor)
- Once you have finished setting up your meta configurations for the batch, click Save & Next to move to tab #2. Click View History to exit back to the Import Utility index screen without saving.
- See the Import Utility: Importing Donations Part IV - Upload the File tutorial for the next step.