Import Utility: Importing Individual Contacts Part III - Import Details
- Once you have set up your data file, you are ready to import the data (be sure to read our "Import Utility: Importing Individual Contacts Part II - Prepare Your Data" tutorial before proceeding with this step).
- To get started, on the Main Menu click Import.
- This will take you to the Import Utility index screen. Here you will see a list of your previously completed, in-progress, and draft imports.
- If you have a draft import already started, you can click the drop down to the right of the import batch and select Edit. Otherwise, click the blue Create Import Batch button in the lower right hand corner.
- The import utility consists of 5 tabs. On Tab #1: Import Details, you will set up the meta information for the batch.
- Start by giving your batch a Batch Title. Best practice is to give the batch a descriptive name that identifies what type of records are in this batch. For example, "Contacts From Old Database" or "Annual Gala 2017 Attendees."
- Next, for the Import Type choose "Contacts."
- For What Type of Contacts Are You Importing, select "Import Individual Contacts."
- In the Assign Default Settings section, the Assign Contact Types, Tags, and Contact Source fields are OPTIONAL. You can assign every record in the batch the same contact type(s), contact source, and/or tags (you can fill out one field, two fields, all three fields, or no fields in this section). This would be in lieu of assigning each record in the batch a source, type, and/or tag in your data file/spreadsheet. You WOULD want to fill out the source, type, and/or tag field here on Import Details tab if every contact in your batch will have the same value (e.g. if every contact in the batch is going to be assigned the contact type "teacher"). This will save you from having to put the same thing in your data file/spreadsheet over and over and over. On the other hand, if the contacts in your data file do NOT have the same value for these fields, then you will want to leave this blank and put the values in your spreadsheet instead. In the second screen shot below, we are assigning every record in our batch the tag "Happy Days".
- The Contact Identification field in the Assign Default Settings section, however, IS required. This setting tells the system how to match records in your file with existing records (if any) so that the existing records are updated instead of new records being created. You can choose to do this by External Contact ID, Fundly CRM ID, or import specific duplicate prevention settings.
- Please Note: if you are using the External Contact ID field as your duplicate prevention setting for an individual contact import:
- This setting can only be used to update existing records/records that are already in your Fundly CRM account. New contact records cannot be created via the import when you use External ID as the duplicate prevention setting; all contacts must already be in the system (including the contact being updated, spouse/partner, primary NP contact, and organization/employer)
- the External ID field does NOT show on view/edit contact. The "ID" field on the Personal Info tab of edit contact is NOT the External ID field. The External ID can only be added to contact records via the import utility; there is no way to add it manually to records
- the External ID must already be on the contact records when you import. Any records in your spreadsheet that the system can't find with the External ID in your spreadsheet will cause the batch to fail
- Please Note: if you are using the Fundly CRM ID field as your duplicate prevention setting for an individual contact import:
- This setting can only be used to update existing records/records that are already in your Fundly CRM account. New contact records cannot be created via the import when you use Fundly CRM ID as the duplicate prevention setting; all contacts must already be in the system (including the contact being updated, spouse/partner, primary NP contact, and organization/employer)
- Click Save & Next to move to tab #2. Click View History to exit back to the Import Utility index screen without saving.
- See the Import Utility: Importing Individual Contacts Part IV - Upload the File tutorial for the next step.