Import Utility: Importing Individual Contacts Part III - Import Details
- Once you have set up your data file, you are ready to import the data (be sure to read our "Import Utility: Importing Individual Contacts Part II - Prepare Your Data" tutorial before proceeding with this step).
- To get started, on the Main Menu click Import.
- This will take you to the Import Utility index screen. Here you will see a list of your previously completed, in-progress, and draft imports.
- If you have a draft import already started, you can click the drop down to the right of the import batch and select Edit. Otherwise, click the blue Create Import Batch button in the lower right hand corner.
- The import utility consists of 5 tabs. On Tab #1: Import Details, you will set up the meta information for the batch.
- Start by giving your batch a Batch Title. Best practice is to give the batch a descriptive name that identifies what type of records are in this batch. For example, "Contacts From Old Database" or "Annual Gala 2017 Attendees."
- Next, for the Import Type choose "Contacts."
- For What Type of Contacts Are You Importing, select "Import Individual Contacts."
- The Assign Default Settings section is OPTIONAL. You can assign every record in the batch the same contact type(s), contact source, and/or tags (you can fill out one field, two fields, all three fields, or no fields in this section). This would be in lieu of assigning each record in the batch a source, type, and/or tag in your data file/spreadsheet. You WOULD want to fill out the source, type, and/or tag field here on Import Details tab if every contact in your batch will have the same value (e.g. if every contact in the batch is going to be assigned the contact type "teacher"). This will save you from having to put the same thing in your data file/spreadsheet over and over and over. On the other hand, if the contacts in your data file do NOT have the same value for these fields, then you will want to leave this blank and put the values in your spreadsheet instead. In the second screen shot below, we are assigning every record in our batch the tag "Happy Days".
- Click Save & Next to move to tab #2. Click View History to exit back to the Import Utility index screen without saving.
- See the Import Utility: Importing Individual Contacts Part IV - Upload the File tutorial for the next step.