An organization can allow volunteers to "swap" schedules with each other for an opportunity. When a volunteer is no longer available for a scheduled date, they can choose to swap with another volunteer so that the date is still filled.
Configuring the Opportunity to Allow Swap
To allow swapping for an opportunity, the admin must turn on the toggle for "Allow people to "swap" slots with each other" under the opportunity Settings configuration.
Initiating a Swap
Swap can be initiated from within the volunteer portal or from the public site.
The volunteer logs in to their account on the volunteer portal and for opportunities that allow swap, a Swap option is available next to the schedule on the View Schedule window. Clicking swap opens the opportunity page on a new tab where the swap can be completed.
When viewing the Schedule Dates of the opportunity on the public site, a Swap button is displayed next to the volunteer's name for a scheduled date. This is also where the volunteer is redirected after initiating swap from the volunteer portal.
Note: The conditions above apply only when the volunteer is logged in.
If the volunteer is not logged in or doesn't have an account, he/she will see the Swap button for all the schedule dates.
Once the volunteer clicks on the Swap button, a pop-up will display with the following options:
For volunteers without an account, there are two options for editing the schedule or requesting for a swap.
- Contact the opportunity owner and have him/her make the changes.
- Create an account using the same email address that the volunteer used when applying for the opportunity (guest login). The volunteer will then be able to login and swap/edit their schedule.
For volunteers with an account, they can login and make the changes from their volunteer portal.
Submitting a Swap Request
The swap will be initiated once the Swap button is selected.
The Swap Schedule pop-up will display the requester's schedule details as well as the list for available schedule dates for swap. The requester can request to swap with multiple volunteers.
- Only participants who signed up with an email are available to swap.
- If a swap request is sent to multiple volunteers, the first one to accept will complete the swap and the others get to keep their existing schedule.
- The Swap Schedule list will display the message: “There are no available schedules to swap with.” if there are no other available volunteer schedules for the opportunity.
After submitting the request for swap, an email notification is sent to the recipient(s). It will contain the details of the swap, as well as a link to respond to the swap request.
Responding to a Swap Request
The email, which contains a response link, opens a new tab to allow the recipient to respond to the swap.
Note: The response page will recognize the recipient even if he/she is not logged in.
The Swap Request window displays the requester's schedule, as well as the recipient's schedule to be swapped.
The recipient has to select either Yes or No and adds a message as a response then clicks Respond Now.
After the recipient submits the response, the requester receives an email notification with an Accepted or Declined response.
- If accepted: The requester and recipient's schedules are updated with the swapped dates.
- If declined: Swap is not confirmed and both get to keep their existing schedules.
The opportunity owner is also notified when there are successful schedule swaps.