Configuration: Discount Codes
- This tutorial will cover how to create Discount (Coupon) Codes that can be used to reduce the costs of events, event other items (merchandise), e-store merchandise, and membership purchases/renewals.
- Start by clicking on Financials on the Main Menu and then selecting Discount/Promo Codes under Configurations.
- In the resulting screen, you will find a list of all existing discount codes.
- To edit an existing discount or promo code, click on the Edit button for the appropriate code.
- You will be routed to the configuration screen. After making changes or updates on the discount code, click Save OR Save Add New.
- To create a new discount code, click on the Add New Discount/Promo Code button in the lower right of the index screen OR the Save and Add New button in the lower right of the add/edit discount code screen.
- On the Discount/Promo Code creation screen, start by indicating the Discount/Promo Code text/code the user will enter to receive the discount. This code is case sensitive and is what will be used by the contact on the public site or by the user on the Add/Edit Invoice screen.
- Next indicate the Discount Type (flat amount or percentage) and the Amount by which the transaction will be reduced.
- Next, for internal reference, you may provide a Description of the code. This field is optional.
- With the Start Date and End Date fields, indicate the time frame in which the discount code will be available for use/will be able to be used. By default, today's date will prepopulate to the Start Date field, but you can change the dates. The Start Date and End Date are both required fields. If you want the discount code to be good for infinity/all time, set the end date far in the future (such as 12/31/2199 or similar).
- The Usage Limit/Person field will allow you to indicate how many times/for how many transactions the discount code can be used in total by a given individual. This is a required field. If you do not want to place a limit per person, set this to a high number ("99" is the highest number that be entered here).
- Use the Usage Limit field to indicate how many, if any, times total (across ALL users/contacts/transactions) the code may be used. Select Unlimited if there is no limit to how many times the code can be used. Select Limited if the code can only be used/applied a limited number of times and then fill in the limit in the field that appears. For example, if you want to give away free event tickets to 25 people, you could create a discount code for a 100% discount and limit the Usage Limit to "25" and to "1" per person to ensure 25 different people get tickets.
- In the Applicable To section, indicate whether the code is to be used with Events, Event Other Items (merchandise), New Memberships, Renewing Memberships, and/or e-Store purchases. Please Note: If your organization has turned off the Events Module, Membership Module and/or E-Store Module, then these fields will not be available to you.
- If the code is to apply only to specific events, specific event other items, specific memberships, and/or specific e-store products, indicate this by clicking the relevant drop down field and selecting the Selected option and in the resulting list of Events/Event Other Items/Memberships/e-Store Categories and Products, select which items the code can be used for.
- If the discount code applies to events and the user picks the Selected option in the Active Events field, a checkbox will appear allowing the user to include inactive events in the dropdown list of events that the promo code can be used for. Please Note: if the user selects an event AND THEN CHECKS THE INACTIVE EVENTS BOX, the user's selection will not be saved. The user must click SAVE in the lower right after selecting an item from the list BEFORE checking the inactive events box. Similarly, if the user checks inactive events, selects an event from the list, and then unchecks the inactive events box, the selection will be lost. User must click save after selecting an item and before checking or unchecking the Inactive Events box (in essence, you are toggling between two lists and must save before toggling to the other list). Please Additionally Note: upon editing the discount code, if any events (even just an active event) is selected, then the Inactive Events checkbox will ALWAYS be checked by default (as the active event may have become inactive between the time you set up the promo code and the time you edit the promo code).
- When you have finished configuring the Discount Code click on Save or Save and Add New.
Article is closed for comments.