NOTE: Due to a recent update to the reporting module, you may notice some differences between your system and the screenshots in this tutorial. We are working to update the screenshots, but in the meantime, the steps in the tutorial below are accurate/have not changed
Basic Reporting Part V FAQ: How Do I Display the Filter Values on the Report?
- Sometimes, you may with to display on the report output the values that you selected for the report filters. That is, you might want to show on the report the date range that you selected in the filters.
- To do this, you simply click into the cell where you want the filter value to display and add the following formula (be sure to add the equal sign; it tells the report that what follows is a function/formula and not text):
- =Filter Value(x)
- "X" in the formula is the number of the filter. Filters are numbered/counted from top to bottom. For example, in the screen shot below, Fund is the third filter from the top, so we would put a "3" in place of the "x" in the formula to show on the report what we had chosen for Fund in the filters like this: =Filter Value (3).
- The "Filter Value" function is only going to display the value of the filter; it will not display the name of the filter. If we want to add some text to show the name of the filter, we can do that by adding whatever text we want, enclosed in single quotations, before the Filter Value function. We must also add an ampersand (&) to indicate to the report that we wish to combine the text with the Filter Function (this is called "concatenate" when we tell the report to combine two functions).
- The syntax for the Filter Value plus description text would look like this:
- ='your text here' & Filter Value(x)
- For instance if we were displaying the donation date filter on this report, we might add the following to the report: ='Gift Date Between' & Filter Value(1)
- If we wanted to display the value of the Donation Amount filter (#7 from the top of the list) then we would add ='Donation Amount Greater Than' & Filter Value(7) to the report.