Basic Reporting Part VIIIb: Using the Interactive HTML Report Viewer
- When you open an Advanced Report (advanced reports interface) in HTML format/on the screen, you can interact with the report using "on the fly" filters, formatting, and sort orders. This feature is especially helpful when projecting the report onto a screen during a meeting--you can resort, filter, and hide information immediately to answer questions posed by your audience.
- To get started, open/execute a report in HTML Format (from the report index screen, click the drop down to the right of the report name and select "Run Report" or simply click on the play/run button).
- Click the arrow button on the right hand side to open the Interactive HTML control panel (HTML control panel will open by default when you run the report) .
- This will open the Interactive HTML control panel. Here, you can hide columns on the report by unchecking the box next to the column name and you can change the report sort orders.
- You can move your mouse over the top of the report to reveal the column names.
- Right clicking on any cell in the report will bring up a contextual menu that will allow you to apply formatting and filtering to cells/values in that column.
- You can select whether to apply your chosen formatting to all of the cells in the column or to apply the formatting to cells with greater than, less than, equal to, or not equal to values as the cell your originally right clicked on. For example, if you right click on the first donation amount cell ($100) and select "Apply to greater than values" and then click on the Font Color button and select "red," all donation amounts greater than $100 will now be red.
- If you wish to filter by value, click the filter button on the contextual menu. In this case, I had right clicked on the $100 donation amount cell, changed the "apply to" drop down to "Apply to values greater than or equal" and then clicked Filter. All values less than $100 have now been hidden (and a "conditional formatting" entry added to the Interactive HTML Viewer Control Panel).
- If you wish to delete any filters you have applied via the contextual menu/interactive HTML viewer, simply click the "X" next to it in the Interactive HTML Viewer control panel (it will take a moment for the report to refresh).
- You can add more robust interactive filters to the Interactive HTML Viewer, by configuring the report options. From Edit Report, click gear wheel icon for advanced tool options and select Report Viewer Option.
- From here, select Filters to add interactive filters to the report. Add the fields you wish to be able to filter on to the "Filters" pane on the right hand side of the screen.
- For each filter, set the filter options including the type of filter (single option, multi option, or a range slider), sort order for the filter values/options, the format of the filter options (currency, text, number, date, etc.).
- If you select to have the filter initially show on panel, it will show up on the Interactive HTML Control Panel by default.
- If you do not select to have it show by default, you can add this filter by clicking the "Add" button.
- For more information on using the Interactive HTML Viewer control panel tools, view this tutorial from the Exago Support Library.