Auctions: Recording Donation of Auction Items
- Donation of in-kind items to be sold via auction can be recorded via Add In-Kind Gift.
- From the Quick Add menu, Gifts Index Screen, or View Contact, select Add In-Kind Gift (our screen shots are taken from Quick Add In-Kind Gift).
- On the Add In-Kind Gift screen, fill out the Donor (Contact) Name, Fund, Source, Event name (if applicable), Donation (Gift) Date, Description of the item, select if you want to send a donation acknowledgement letter now, later, or never (skip) (skipping can be undone on the generate donation acknowledgement screen), and add any soft credit donor names.
- The Value field will be auto filled from the auction items Total Amount field and should be skipped.
- Next, click the “+” under Auction Items.
- Fill out the auction fields.
- Code is an internal tracking alphanumeric code. This is a required field.
- Name is the name of the item (e.g. “spa day gift basket, Red Sox tickets, big screen television, etc.). This is a required field.
- Description is a description of the item (e.g. “box seats for opening day”). This is not a required field.
- Category is the meta category of the donated item (e.g. entertainment, event tickets, gift baskets, travel, home décor, etc.). There are no pre-set categories – users create their own. Create new categories simply by typing the name.
- Restrictions are any limitations on the item or the sale of the item (e.g. Must be 21 and over, tickets can’t be used the week of April 1-5, etc.). This is not a required field.
- Market Value is the fair market value of the item. This is not a required field.
- Auction Amount is the minimum bid you are willing to accept for the item. This is not a required field.
- Quantity is how many of the items you have. If you have two events tickets and are selling them separately/as two individual items, that is 2 items. If you have two event tickets and you are selling them together as a pair, that is 1 item. Use the quantity field if you have the items in hand/have received the item. Otherwise, if you have only been promised the item but it hasn’t yet been delivered, use the Pledge Quantity field. This is not a required field.
- Pledge Quantity is used to track the quantity when the item has been promised but you do not yet have it in hand/it has not yet been delivered. If the item has been promised and not delivered, fill in Pledge Quantity. After the item is received, edit the donation and change the quantity from the Pledge Quantity field to the Quantity field to indicate the item has been received. This is not a required field.
- Total Amount is a calculated field that multiples the Fair Market Value field by the Quantity field.
- You can add additional auction items by clicking the “+” to add additional rows.
- When you are done, save the record.
- Auction item donations will show up on the contact’s record on Giving Details and Engagement History.
- Auction items will show up on the Gifts index screen as well (under Fundraising on the Main Menu).
- There is no way to filter/search for just auction items on the Gifts index screen. Instead, use the Auctions index page, accessible from the Main Menu (under Fundraising).
- You can export a list of Auction Items (to import to your auction management software such as Handbid) from the Auction Items index screen. Use the filters at the top of the page to generate the list of items you want and then click the blue Export button in the lower right hand corner.
Article is closed for comments.