Pledges: Receiving Pledge Payment (Version 2+)
- This tutorial will cover how to receive a pledge payment.
- Pledges can be paid through check, cash, or credit card - depends on how donors would want to pay their pledges.
- You may also assign an existing donation as a payment for a pledge schedule. For example, if Sally gives you a $100 donation and you record that as a donation, then a few weeks later Sally agrees to give you a $500 donation for this year, spread over several payments, and wants her $100 donation counted towards that $500 pledge, you can link the two items together.
- You can receive pledge payment from the donor’s contact record or from the pledge index screen.
- To receive payment from the Pledge Index Screen, from the Main Menu, click on Fundraising then click on Pledges to go to the pledges index screen. From there, click the drop down to the right of the pledge and select Edit to open up the pledge details and access the pledge's payment schedule. To receive payment from the contact record, view the contact and look for the Pledge Details panel. Click on the name of the pledge (text in green) to open up the pledge for editing.
- In the resulting screen, you will see the payment schedule for the pledge.
- Click on the drop down to the right of the payment schedule you are receiving payment for and select Receive Payment.
- The payment screen will populate. Indicate the Mode of Payment (Cash, Credit Card, Credit Card Offline, or check), Date of Payment, Payment Reference Number, and the Amount. You can record a partial payment here (see below for more information partial payments). Click on Continue on the lower right to save the payment information.
- If you enter an amount paid that is less than the amount owed for that particular payment schedule, two options of how to handle the partial payment appear on the right. You can either reduce the amount of the payment schedule so that it matches what is being paid or you keep the amount owed for that particular pledge schedule the same and record a partial payment. Select one of the options.
- Once you finish filling out the payment information, click the black Continue button in the lower right.
- The Receive Payment pop up window will close, returning you to the Edit Pledge screen. If that particular pledge/payment schedule was paid in full, the "receive payment" button/drop down is now removed from the paid payment schedule and the Paid Amount column is now filled in. Hovering over the Paid Amount will reveal the payment details.
- If you recorded a partial payment, you'll be able to hover over the amount paid and see the details, but the Receive Payment drop down will still be visible as well; however, the option to assign a donation and delete the payment schedule will have been removed. Select the Receive Payment option when you are ready to record another payment against that same schedule. In our second screen shot below, we have hovered over the payment details/Amount Paid for a pledge schedule that was paid in two installments/two separate payments.
- You can also link a donation to a pledge payment schedule/use a donation to make a pledge schedule as paid. This is helpful for those times when someone wants a previously submitted donation to count toward a pledge or for when a staff member erroneously enters a pledge payment as a gift, rather than applying the payment to the pledge. To link a pledge schedule and a donation, choose the Assign Gift option from the drop down to the right of the pledge schedule.
- When you click on the Assign Gift option, there will be a pop up window that will show the Donations recorded in your system for that contact.
- Once you link a donation to a pledge schedule, there is no way to unlink the two items (you would have to delete the donation and re-enter it).
- After making sure that the payment is recorded, click the Save or Save and Close in the lower right to save your changes.