Tips for Using the Import Utility
Prior to Importing:
- Double check your data / spreadsheet for errors.
- You don’t have to use our template, but be sure to use our template as a guide as to how the data must be formatted and which columns are REQUIRED.
- EVERY row that has data MUST have all of the required fields. For individual contact import, for example, every row MUST have a first and last name.
- And every row must have only one first name in the first name column.
- Every row with an address must have a zip code (and make sure the zip codes are all 5 digits).
- If you include work information, then you MUST include the “Organization Is Contact” column and the value of this column MUST be Yes.
- These are just a couple of examples of what is required. Be sure to check our templates for the full list of what is required for each type of import.
- If you receive an error “Column Names Must Be Unique” while trying to upload your spreadsheet, try saving the spreadsheet as a .csv file and then try again. This error occurs because there is stray data or marks (including spaces or formatting that was erased) in the empty columns to the right of the last column with data. The system is picking that up and reading the blank column headers as duplicates. If saving as a .csv doesn’t clear the error, then copy the data (NOT THE ENTIRE ROWS/COLUMNS; copy just the cells with data) to a clean/new spreadsheet and upload this new spreadsheet.
- If there are errors in your file, the system will alert you.
- Click the Review button to see what the errors are.
- If there are a small amount of errors, you can correct the records one at a time by clicking Edit Invalid/Missing Records in the bottom right.
- Correct each record based on the error listed and then click Save and Next.
- When you finish correcting all records, choose Re-Validate and Import.
- If there are a large number of errors, it may be easier to correct the data on your spreadsheet and try again. Choose Upload a New File from the lower right in this case.