Communications: Send Donation Acknowledgement Letters
- Send Donation Acknowledgements
- Edit Acknowledgement Letter Template
- Create a New Template
- Send Acknowledgement Queue
- Download Donation Information
- Send Acknowledgement Letters via E-Mail
- Send Acknowledgement Letters via Mail
- Communication History / Contact Timeline
- This tutorial will cover how to send donation acknowledgement letters through the system.
- Before you send donation acknowledgements, you will need to have created donation acknowledgement letter templates, configured default acknowledgement settings, and recorded some donations in your system. For more information, please see the tutorials on Managing Templates, configuring Acknowledgement Settings, and configuring Funds, Programs, and Campaigns.
- To send donation acknowledgements, start by clicking on the Communications from the Left Menu and, on the sub-menu, click on Create New Communication to start the process from the template index screen OR select Send Acknowledgements to go directly to the generate acknowledgements screen (skip to step #10).
- From the template index screen, select either the My Templates (to access user-created templates) or System Templates (to access default “out of the box” templates) tab at the top of the screen.
- Then scroll down to the Acknowledgements category or select the Acknowledgements filter on the left.
- Any templates for which there are donations queued up and waiting to send letters will have an orange bar at the bottom, indicating the number of acknowledgement letters waiting to be sent.
- Hover over these templates and click Process to enter the Send Acknowledgements area and generate the letters.
- If you wish to edit a donation acknowledgement letter template, hover over the template before using, click Edit (available for My Templates only) or Copy (equivalent to “Save As” in Microsoft Word). Please Note: If there are any letters queued up for a template (the orange bar across the bottom of the template's thumbnail), then the Edit function will not be available. You must first generate all the waiting letters or move them to another template in order to copy the template.
- If you wish to create a new template, chose Copy. This will take you into the template creation/set-up area. See our tutorial on working with templates for more information on creating donation acknowledgement templates.
- After selecting Process, you will enter the Generate Acknowledgements area, which will show you all current, unacknowledged donations or donors.
Send Acknowledgement Queue
- The Template list on the left hand side shows you the donations awaiting acknowledgement grouped by the acknowledgement template assigned to the donation. All donations will automatically have been assigned templates, based on either the default settings for acknowledgements, or the program, campaign, or funds to which given donations may be linked, if you assigned donation acknowledgement letter templates to the program, campaign fund. The first category [All (Excludes Skipped Acknowledgments]) is view only and is not actionable (you cannot generate any acknowledgements from this list, though you can move donations from the skipped queue to a template/category to generate letters that you accidentally marked as to skip).
- Please Note: if you have sent a donation acknowledgement via email to a donor and the email bounced/is not deliverable, the donation acknowledgement will be moved to the skipped queue.
- The system uses a hierarchy to determine which letter template is assigned to a donation when there is more than one eligible template (for example, if you assigned a program and a campaign to the donation and both the program and the campaign have their own letter templates assigned). The hierarchy is:
- Default Settings
- If you find that the wrong template is being assigned to your donations, it is due to your configurations/settings and the hierarchy above.
- You can view the acknowledgements waiting to be sent by gift or by donor. Click the By Gift/By Donor toggle button to switch views.
- You can narrow down the acknowledgements presented by using the filters. Click Show Filter in the upper right hand corner to bring up the filters list. You can filter by communication preference, donation date, campaign, event, donor type (individual or organization), fund, gift source, program, and donation amount.
- To hide the filter, click the Hide Filter button in the upper right.
- To change the type of donations you are viewing, click on one of the acknowledgement type tabs on the top (Primary, Soft Credit, Tribute, or Tribute Cards).
- The Soft Credit tab will only show if you set soft credit donors to receive a separate letter in the Acknowledgement Settings on the Settings menu.
- To start a new acknowledgement batch, start by selecting the template list on the left for which you wish to generate acknowledgements
- Create a name for the batch in the Batch Name field, or use the suggested default name (which will use template name + date generated).
- Using the Apply to Selected button in the lower right, you can select individual items in the batch (multiple items can be checked) and then change the template assigned to a donation or mark a donation acknowledgement as skipped to take it out of the queue of acknowledgements to be generated.
- Donation information can be downloaded to Excel (to be used for a manual mail merge, for example) rather than generating letters from inside the system from the Generate Acknowledgement Index Screen using the Download button in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. This is OPTIONAL. To generate letters directly from within the system, skip to step #21.
- To download the acknowledgement data (rather than generate letters from within the system), select the acknowledgement category/queue that you want to download the data for from the list on the left of the main acknowledgements screen. Remove any donations/donors from the batch using the "Change Template" or "Skip Acknowledgement" options from the Actions menu in the lower right.
- When you have the list of donations you wish to download finalized, click the Download drop down menu in the lower right and choose whether you wish to simply download the data to Excel (but leave the acknowledgements in the acknowledgement queue to be generated from within the system later (or mark as skipped)) or Download Data and Process to download the data and mark the donations as sent/processed (this will move the acknowledgements to the Communications: History queue). NOTE: To clear your skipped acknowledgement queue, you can Download Data and Process or Assign a template, generate and process as how you should with regular donation acknowledgment.
- A pop up window will appear. Select the Output Template for the acknowledgement data from the list of output templates you have configured.
- Please Note: the output templates being referenced here are EXCEL FILE FORMATS (not donation acknowledgement letter templates). That is, you are being asked to select the "template" for your excel file. The list that populates here is from the excel file output templates configured by your users on Main Menu: Fundraising: Configurations: Acknowledgement Output Templates.
- After selecting the excel file format/template, click the black Process button. You will receive a green validation message that your file has been sent for processing. Generating the excel file to download is an offline process. You will receive an email when the process has finished and the file is ready to be downloaded.
- When you receive the email that the file is ready to be downloaded, click the link in the email to be taken to the Communications: History screen (or proceed there directly). Click the drop down to the right of the batch name and select Download. Rather than downloading a PDF or Word document of formatted letters, you'll be presented with an Excel file to download. Use this file as the data file for an offline mail merge process.
Send Acknowledgement via Mail
If using placeholders, select the placeholder from the dropdown and click the plus sign.